Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Week 13 Prompt

As both an aspiring librarian and avid reader of YA literature and graphic novels, I do not believe that it is productive that we, as library staff, restrict adults from being able to enjoy these formats. I grew up on popular YA titles, such Harry Potter and Charlie Bone, and these are novels I enjoy being able to re-read because they serve as a source of nostalgia for me. I can fully engage with the magic and the friendship that these novels provide through series that promote imagination and creativity.
            I find it counterintuitive to restrict this imagination and creativity in adults that are seeking popular titles in YA literature and graphics novels. I am also very visually when it does come to reading and it really helps me when I am able to sit down and read a series that are graphic novels or adult comics. I can enjoy the events of the novel so much more when I am not forced to imagine what the characters or setting looks like physically. I would be intentional in my role as a librarian to promote these formats to adult patrons that are seeking novels that meet their needs, not my expectations of their needs.
            It is important to keep this mind when we approach our work as librarians as we would not want to impose our own, potentially misguided, knowledge or personal genre preferences onto patrons. They come in seeking a specific format or genre, and it is very important that we do not reveal our own genre preferences or judgments onto their reading interests. This includes YA literature and graphic novels because they are just as an important medium for reading as print or eBooks.

            A good way of promoting YA literature or graphic novels may be to create an age-neutral display of these genre-specific YA or graphic novels so both adults and young adults can peruse. This promotes the library’s collection of graphic novels and YA literature for the benefit of library staff and the patrons so no one feels restricted or judged from checking out these genres/formats. It would also be helpful to include a list of other YA literature or graphic novels within the display so patrons could take these lists for potential read-a-likes that are available in the library’s present collection.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree! We should not impose our preferences on patrons. I think that is one of the best things about this class. We are forced to look at genres that we wouldn't normally pick up. We have to determine what readers would enjoy this rather than having the idea of "Who would enjoy that?" It is important for librarians to remain neutral in their suggestions and branch out into other genres. This is the best way to serve our patrons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very thoughtful, insightful prompt response. I couldn't agree more! Full points!

    ReplyDelete