Friday, February 24, 2017

Prompt Response 7

            I am not familiar with fake memoirs because I am not interested in reading this type of genre as I prefer reading historical and paranormal fiction, as well as fantasy. Their controversy is understandable because they are based on fabrications of truth so there would be some hesitancy when acquiring these memoirs. I first heard about fake memoirs when I was my senior year of college as I took a nonfiction writing class when we discussed the growing significance of fake memoirs.
            I’m not entirely sure how I feel about fake memoirs because I’m not entirely why these authors do not simply publish them as fiction. Titles like A Million Little Lies and Forbidden Love would have been better suited to be published as fiction, instead of misleading readers and reviewers that may have enjoyed the content. I understand Oprah had been a big fan of A Million Little Pieces, and she was infuriated to discover that the memoir had been fabricated for the sake of sales. Even though the writing was powerful, she was quick to hold him accountable for lying, and she was praised by many media outlets for this confrontation.

            I feel the same way because I do not think an author should be rewarded with book sales when their memoir is more fictional than reliable. Fake memoirs should be published as fiction, and that way the authors could promote their titles with integrity, as well benefit from celebrities like Oprah. I would feel hesitant in purchasing titles that are fake memoirs because I would not feel comfortable with supporting authors that knowingly fabricate their stories just for some extra sales. Their writing may be captivating, but that doesn’t mean that they should be able to exploit the truth for their own gain, whether it is for publicity or an extra book sale.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, but I also think authors who write autobiographies and memoirs do tend to embellish their story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, but I also think authors who write autobiographies and memoirs do tend to embellish their story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One workaround is moving the "fake memoirs" to other parts of the library. For instance, A Million Little Pieces could be moved to the addiction section, rather then the biographies. Full points.

    ReplyDelete