Friday, February 10, 2017

Week 5 Prompt Response


TWeek 5 Prompt Response
            The Angela Ashes review seems more reliable than the romantic eBook review because it explores the Angela Ashes more in-depth while the eBook relies on opinion. I wouldn’t pay much attention to that review because it is based on opinion and emotion, and the review about Angela Ashes fleshes out the setting and plot. I would be more apt to rely on the reviews of Angela Ashes because of this if I were to look to add this novel to the library’s collection.
            I believe it is a shame that one book reviews a large of publicity while novel that are just as worthy of such publicity simply fall through the cracks and don’t receive the attention they deserve. This affects the library’s collection very much because the patrons do not have access to titles that could “serve the needs of your patrons by carrying the romances they want to read” (Dunneback & Towner, 223). This statement is true beyond the romance genre because there are books in other genres that are overpublicized while other titles simply fall through the cracks without the attention that they should have received.
            I do not work in a library currently, but I would be intentional with choosing library material by using reviews that explore the aspects of novels, as the reviews with Angela Ashes had done. I would make sure to take these reviews at face value because they cannot be the ultimate as to whether a patron would find that specific novel a worthwhile read. Kirkus reviews are very helpful, and I find them to be very brief so that I would be able to read them quickly to determine if it they would be helpful with buying new books for the collection. Library Journal Review and Booklist Review would also seem to helpful sources that I would be able to use when I go to buy new material.

Works Cited
Towner, Mary Wilkes and Katie Dunneback. “Everything Romance.” Integrated Advisory Services: Breaking through the Book Boundary to Better Serve Library Users. By Jessica E. Moyer. Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited, 2010. 183-225. Print. 

1 comment:

  1. April, I think you touch on something here with the difference between professional reviews and reviews from Amazon and/or blogs. Reviews from Amazon/blogs touch on emotions that are evoked when a person reads a story while professional reviews leave the emotion of how they felt when they read the book out of the review. I think that is what deems a professional review as a reliable, trustworthy assessment.

    ReplyDelete