Wednesday, February 1, 2017

RA Secret Shopper Summary
My experience with the library that I went too was a little disappointing because I feel like I wasn’t listened to by Andrew while we worked to together to find a book I would enjoy. He did attempt to ask me questions about my preferences when it came to reading fantasy, like if I saw The Hobbit or I enjoyed watching Game of Thrones. I told him my preference was for Game of Thrones and, instead of relying on that to potentially guide me to books by George R. R. Martin, he led me to the fantasy section. I felt confused and lost by all the books despite his best efforts to recommend a couple authors that he enjoyed reading because he liked the fantasy genre as well.
I did not feel very invested in through this process because I felt as though he was reluctant to recommend a book because he feared recommending something that I might not enjoy reading. He could have been intentional to ask open-ended questions that would help him discover what were my preferences when it came to fantasy, which leans toward paranormal romance with authors like Sherrilyn Kenyon and JR Ward. This conversation was not as productive as I felt that it should have been, and I couldn’t find a book that I was genuinely satisfied with to be able to sit down to read for relaxation.
Andrew did not seem to have formal training in reader’s advisory as he did “fail to conduct an interview; they tend to rely on personals apart from the catalog (helpful only for a known author or title); and they do not follow up” (RA Interview, 163). I walked by the information reference afterwards to see if he would notice that I did not end up choosing the book that he recommended but he glanced at me and returned to what he was doing on his computer. I felt as though that was what he had been distracted by, and that was something that he could have paused briefly to utilize the online catalog and involved me in the process of finding a book for me to enjoy before grabbing it from the shelf for me. I would not have felt as lost when he guided me to fantasy section where I got distracted by a multitude of covers that I was only partially interested in.

He was nice throughout the conversation and he also knowledgeable about popular books in the genre because he is a fan of reading fantasy and paranormal fiction as well. He guided me toward authors like Patricia Briggs and Jim Butcher, which I think fall on the paranormal fiction scale, but I didn’t end up checking any books out because I didn’t feel confident in those recommendations. These were his personal recommendations because I asked him what he has read personally but, instead of focusing on that question, he could have sidestepped it to ask a question about my personal preferences. This conversation could have been more successful if we had remained at the information reference desk and he used the catalog to ask those questions to find a specific book in the library’s catalog that I would enjoy. If he had guided me to that book to be checked out, I felt that I would have checked out the book that he recommended and a bit more invested in because he would have taken the effort to discover my actual preferences.

5 comments:

  1. Hi April.

    Sounds like you had a not-so-great experience with Andrew. Your comment “my experience with the library that I went too was a little disappointing because I feel like I wasn’t listened to…” speaks volumes. It does not matter if it is in a library, a department store, or when I am ordering my breakfast crunch wrap from Taco Bell I am human and want to be listened too. I know that some of this is fake sincerity. We all do it from me to time, because there are times when we are not interested in what the person is talking about. However, at work I have found showing an interest in helping someone makes them feel better and more relaxed.

    Don’t get me wrong; it can get frustrating. I work the reference desk at my library and I get frustrated at times with the questions patrons ask me. I come from working at an academic library for 16 years to working at a small town public library for 1 year so far. The majority of questions I am asked differ greatly from the two places. I am used to students and faculty asking more research based questions and knowing how to operate a computer. However, when I get frustrated I have to remind myself that I know how to do things these patrons do not. And most importantly, it is my job to assist them in a polite manner.

    I have found that a bonus of listening to people is learning new things. I recently helped an elderly lady with newspaper research on microfilm. She needed help setting up the machine and about half of my work day time was spent going back and forth from the reference desk to the microfilm machine helping her download the images. After talking with her I found out that she is a retired librarian and is doing personal archive work about the town’s history. She has offered to share her research with the library. This could be a great source of information for the library’s local history collection. Without taking the time to listen to her go on and on about old town history I would not have been able to expand my knowledge nor the library’s local history collection.

    Maybe if Andrew from your secret shopper experience took the time to listen to you then together you two could have found the perfect book for you. Since Andrew likes fantasy books it seems that he would have enjoyed talking with a fellow fantasy book reader if only he had listen to you and took the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your summary. You focused on a really great point; to concentrate on the patron and not ourselves. I guess it is easier to just tell them something we have read and think OK, I suggested something... I admit I have done that :( but I know now that that isn't good Readers' Advisory. We need to find out what they are really looking for and follow up instead of leaving them feeling lost in the stacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that was the most frustrating part of the interview but it didn't seem that he was that interested in fulfilling my request for something I would enjoy reading. It is something I am going to focus in my role as a librarian because I want to be able to guide the patron to books they will be able to enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. April, I like your wording that Andrew should have been invested in you. That is a key to all of our interactions with patrons, whether doing readers' advisory, reference or assisting with the computer or even the copy machine. I think we get so caught up in getting the patron finished so we can move to the next person in line or going back to whatever we are working on that we forget that are number one focus should always be the patron in front of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great summary, it sounds as if your librarian's RA skills weren't the only things that were rusty, he might need to bone up on those people skills. Sorry your experience wasn't better!

    ReplyDelete